Extramural Funding Overview
Extramural Funding Overarching Framework Summary by Grant Stage
Go to the Funding Opportunity folder on the Process Improvement Department Sharepoint site to download the appropriate workflows.
- Search for funding opportunities
- Clarify fund source and type
- Review solicitation requirements for eligibility and feasibility
Go to the Proposal Preparation folder on the Process Improvement Department Sharepoint site to download the appropriate workflows.
- Request and launch formal proposal with request for eCaf Questionnaire
- Verify or set-up PI eligibility
- Identify key roles to complete tasks
- Prepare budget and justification
- Review, itemize, and interpret sub-award/sub-contract requirements
- Prepare body of grant
Go to the Proposal Submission folder on the Process Improvement Department Sharepoint site to download the appropriate workflows.
- Execute eCAF
- Prepare sponsor application
- Obtain COEUS confirmation
Go to the Post-Proposal Submission folder on the Process Improvement Department Sharepoint site to download the appropriate workflows.
- Identification of Supporting Material and Requirements
- Submission of supporting material after NOA
- Review for pre-award or other requirements
- Follow-up as needed regarding notification from sponsor and/or RED
- Review for completeness and signatures for acceptance
Set Up Award - Fund
Go to the Set Up Award (Fund) folder on the Process Improvement Department Sharepoint site to download the appropriate workflows.
- Review PAMIS Award for accuracy
- Verify and implement residual account request process
- Set-up and implement overall budget and expense categories
Go to the Implement Grant folder on the Process Improvement Department Sharepoint site to download the appropriate workflows.
- As needed
- Award continuation/renewal
- Proper verification of cost-sharing/matching as reported on award
Go to the Close Out folder on the Process Improvement Department Sharepoint site to download the appropriate workflows.
90 days - prior to expiration
- Final report to PI and sponsor (Federal Financial Report (FFR))
- Final clearance of all encumbrances
- Final deficit clearing, fund close-out
- Final cost share report
Key Terms and Roles
|Term / Role||Description|
|Budget Period||The intervals of time into which a multi-year period of assistance (project period) is divided for budgetary and funding purposes. Budget periods are usually 12 months long but may be shorter or longer, if appropriate.|
|Principal Investigator (PI)||The eligible (as determined by UCR policy) and qualified person designated by UCR to direct a research project or program. The PI is responsible for overseeing the scientific and technical aspects of a project. Principal Investigators are required to be significantly involved in the project. “Fronting” as a Principal Investigator is contrary to UC/UCR policy.|
|Procurement Analyst||The Procurement Analyst is a Business Operations analyst who helps lead the procurement effort (prepare PO, issue PO, seek SRP approval for
each grant, etc.) for everything that is procured for SOM. S/he works closely with SRP analyst to review approvals on each grant.
|Research and Economic Development (RED)||RED is the UCR unit with delegated authority to submit all final proposals to the sponsor, on behalf of SOM.|
|Solicitation||A document that elicits proposals.|
|SOM Approving Unit||SOM approving unit may consist of the Dean's Office, Finance and Administration (F&A), or the Chair in the respective unit who has the
approving authority for C&G-specific matters.
|SOM Non-Approving Unit|
|SRP Analyst||SRP analyst is the analyst assigned to lead the administration and management of the award. S/he can be assigned to manage the pre-award,
post-award or both in some cases, and have the responsibility to help create and/or review budgets and who is granted authority to submit
an eCAF to the PI for final review and certification.